Shake Your Rump
- The main drum roll is from “Funky Snakefoot” by Alphonze Mouzon from the 1973 album “Funky Snakefoot”
- Beat is Harvey Scales’s “Dancing Room Only” from the 1979 album Hot Foot (A Funque Dizco Opera)
- Additional beats from “Super Mellow” by Paul Humphrey from the album "The Drum Suite"
- "Shake Your Rump-ah" - from the Unity album by James Brown and Afrika Bambaataa
- Mostly taken from the "Car Wash" soundtrack by Rose Royce
- "It's the Joint" - song of same title by Funky 4+1
- Bong hit
- ‘Scratch’ heard under "the most packinest", "your belief, chief" and at the end - "Could you be Loved" by Bob Marley
- "Hoo-ha! Got them all in check." - "8th Wonder" by The Sugarhill Gang
- Afrika Bambaataa’s, "Jazzy Sensation"
- Ronnie Laws, "Tell Me Something Good"
- The sound similar to a straw being pulled through a soft drink lid is an African percussian instrument known as a "cuica" (kwee-kuh). The instrument was originally used in Africa for lion hunting because the sound produced is very similar to a female lion’s roar, thus attracting the male. The cuica’s sound is produced by pulling and pushing a wet cloth on the bamboo stick. (http://www.congaplace.com/instrument/cuica/cuica.php)
- the disco call is from Foxy’s "Get Off"
- After the chorus phrase "Shake Your Rump-a" there is a drum break with synth. The first two runthroughs, right before the rap starts again, the concluding drum fill is from "Good Time Bad Times" by Led Zepplin.
- Club Med - vacation resorts
- Pigpen - the original keyboardist/harmonica player/vocalist for the Grateful Dead
- Kangol - Brand of funky hat
- Patty Duke - popular hip-hop dance step during the mid-eighties, Patty Duke was also an old 1950’s TV show
- "like Sam the butcher, bringing Alice the meat" - two characters from The Brady Bunch, Sam was Alice’s boyfriend.
- Fred Flintstone - from the cartoon "The Flintstones," who’s car was powered by his 2 feet.
- The Tango - dance
- The Wrench - dance
- "I’m Mike D and I’m back from the dead" - possibly a reference to widespread rumors of his death after Licensed To Ill and prior to Paul’s Boutique being released.
- Whippets are small canisters of (N2O) nitrous oxide. The "whippet" cartridges look like standard CO2 cartridges, and are used to charge commercial cream whippers. When used not for it’s intended purpose as in this reference, the gas is released from the canister into a balloon with a ‘cracker’ and then inhaled.
LyricsNow Randy listen I rock a house party at the drop of a hat
I beat a biter down with an aluminum bat
a lot of people they be Jonesin’ just to hear me rock the mic
In the right car at the right price in mint condition
they’ll be staring at the radio
staying up all night
so like a pimp I’m pimpin’
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg just B-boy limpin’
Got arrested at the Mardi Gras for jumping on a float
My man MCA’s got a beard like a billy goat
oowah oowah is my disco call
MCA hu-huh I’m gettin’ rope y’all
Routines I bust rhymes I write
And I’ll be busting routines and rhymes all night
Like eating burgers or chicken or you’ll be picking your nose
I’m on time and that’s how it goes
You heard my style I think you missed the point
that’s the joint
Mike D with your bad self running things
What’s up with your bad breath onion rings
I’m Mike D and I’m back from the dead
Chillin’ at the beach, down at Club Med. Pig Pen?
Make another record ’cause the people they want more of this
Suckers they be saying they can take out Adam Horovitz
Hurricane you got clout
Other DJ’s he’ll take your head out
A puppet on a string I’m paid to sing or rhyme
Or do my thing I’m
In a lava lamp inside the brain hotel
I might be peakin’ or freakin’ I’m known to rock well
The Patty Duke the wrench and then I bust the tango
Got more rhymes than Jamaica got Mango Kangols
I got the peg leg at the end of my stump
Shake your rump
Never been dumped ’cause I’m the most mackinest
Never been jumped ’cause I’m known the most packinest
Yeah we’ve got beef chief
We’re knocking out teeth chief
And if you don’t believe us you should question your belief Keith
Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat
Like Fred Flintstone driving around with bald feet
Should I have another sip no skip it
In the back of the ride and bust with the whippet
Rope a dope dookies all around the neck
*Whoo ha, got them all in check*
Running from the law the press and the parents
*Is your name Michael Diamond?*
No mine’s Clarence
From downtown Manhattan the village
My style is wild and you know that it still is
Disco bag schlepping and you’re doing the bump
Shake your rump